Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Sweets for My Suite



Day 4 - Nashville TN - Non travel day


Woke up to the Today Show and a segment about something near and dear to Jim's heart - the Haven Brother's Diner in Providence! About a million years ago, Jim worked at the main branch of Hospital Trust, the graveyard shift. He'd enjoy their white beans and hot dogs in the wee hours of the morning. Of course, these days such a meal at that hour would probably kill him. Literally.


The local news called for *filtered sunshine*. I looked out of the window, I saw clouds. What ever happened to the word cloudy?


So we made our way in *filtered sunshine* the mile or two down the road to the Opryland Hotel. A couple of years ago my sister-in-law told me how impressed she was with the place (and she's been all over the world) and I made a mental note to go in for a look around if I was ever in the neighborhood.



The parking fee was $16 and we agreed that 'this better be good'.



It was.


Our jaws dropped so many times in that place that we're still trying to close our mouths. We've been in many stunning hotel lobbies, but this was unbelievable. It feels more like a botanical garden, with restaurants, shops and so much more. Every time we thought we'd covered it all we discovered a new atrium that was more spectacular than the last.





We've been really good about eating healthy and getting the exercise in. Thankfully, it was early so most of the hotel's restaurants weren't open yet. BUT...the pastry shops were! And let me tell you that my yogurt and strawberries didn't hold a candle to those sinful, rich creations in those display cases. Not to mention the aromas of cinnamon wafting through the air. However, we were not to be tempted and quickened our pace to escape the beckoning finger of temptation under our noses. I think I made little sobbing sounds scurrying past the Godiva Shop...


Homonyms


Later, after we'd been walking for over an hour we stopped to take a little rest on one of the many benches in the gardens. Jim was looking up at the top floor of the hotel. I mused that on previous trips we'd have behaved badly, diet-wise and would have probably would have already had sampled a couple of things. Now, you must realize that he hears the drone of my voice, so he knows I'm saying something, but like most guys...he doesn't really know what I'm saying.


Still looking up at the upper floors of the hotel he responds, "This place sure has a lot of *suites*.


I replied that we've been so good and have to have will power with all these temptations around.


He started to laugh..."I wasn't talking about that kind of sweet!"


I guess it's easy to see where my mind was!



Later in the day, still enjoying the *filtered sunshine* we visited the Hermitage, the home of the seventh President, Andrew Jackson. Nice place, historic and educational. Jim's the history buff, so I learned a lot. Let's just say that the guy on the $20 bill was a good thing for this country but not for the Indian Nation. Of course, the tour kinda, sorta, just skims over that fact.


Had a quiet evening, rode our bikes around the many (huge) campgrounds in the area. Oh yeah, in the setting *filtered sunshine*.








3 comments:

Jeff and Lori said...

Are you sure you did not take a wrong turn, that looks like a Hawaiian hotel lobby. 16 BUCKS for parking !!!!! Lori

cj said...

Hi Guys, glad you enjoyed the hotel. It was amazing at X-mas as well. CJ

Sells said...

If you see Jim Cantore...RUN!!!

could be just like the outbreak in Ks, De ja Vue. Check your E-mail, sent you good graphics and discussion from sever storm lab in OK.