Sunday, April 6, 2008

I Hear Banjos!





Day 2 Pickens SC to Knoxville TN




The rain finally stopped. We took a nice, one hour walk, with a good bit of hill climbing in the campground. The Palmetto Trail ran through the park and we ventured into the forest to walk a small portion of it. I remember when I was very young and learned about the Appalachian Trail. I couldn't believe anyone could possibly walk from Maine to Georgia!






The Palmetto Trail traverses South Carolina from the mountains to the Atlantic Ocean. I think I missed being able to hike the length of either one of those trails by a few decades!




We left the campground late morning and decided to go the 'scenic' route through the mountains. Um...next time we need to look really closely at the map to see just HOW FAR it is! Man, we were so far in those woods...

A few hours, many twists, turns and over-heated brakes later we decided to forgo Chattanooga in favor of Knoxville. From where we were it would have been over 4 more hours of those roads. It was beautiful, but NOT the proper road for RV with a tow car. Can't believe we did that....

We pulled up at the Soaring Eagle Campground in Lenoir City, just west of Knoxville around 6:00pm. It's right beside the highway and that's just what we wanted, easy in, easy out. Made a
healthy, quick meal. Thank God for microwaves.

Haven't decided what we're going to do tomorrow yet, the only thing I'm SURE of is that we will NOT be driving on winding mountain roads!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thought I'd check the blog this am only to find myself wanting desparately to run to Dotti's to tell everyone: Chatty forgot her dogs!!!!!
Too funny kiddo!
What is your travel plan? Any particular states or direction...I saw that you'd gotten materials for a few states so am thinking those are on the agenda.
Have fun, I'll be checking on you often!
~~Jann~~