Sunday, April 6, 2008

Forget Anything?


Yesterday, DAY ONE was interesting...to say the least!

Jim and I have been joking around the last couple of days asking each other, “How far we will get before we realize there was something that we forgot?”

Not far.

I have been staging all the things that needed to go into the RV, and Jim has been packing everything away in there. Consequently, I don't know where most of the stuff is, but I'll learn quickly. So when we finally finished packing/stowing, took showers and the one last walk-around the house we felt pretty darn smug that, for once, we remembered everything...EVERYTHING

I'd had lists.


I even had a list of all the dog paraphernalia that we needed; health records, heart worm preventative, flea control, shampoo, brushes, combs, clippers, nail clippers,foods, food bowls, water bowl, tags, harnesses and leashes. All of it was already safely stowed in the RV.


Jim hooked the car to the back of the RV around 10:30 this morning, came back in and said everything was as ready as it was ever going to be and he wanted to go...now. He had the RV in front of the house, ready to go. We walked out together, locking the front door behind us. I asked him to get in the driver's seat and wave so I could take an official 'beginning' picture. Then, with great fanfare, I jumped in and we were off!







We started down the street...past our next door neighbor, and the house on the corner. I turned to Jim and mentioned that I hadn't said goodbye to Brandy, our third dog, who does not like to travel and my daughter was coming to pick up later today.







He got a funny look on his face and said, “Where are the dogs?” I turned around, thinking he was kidding and lo and behold, the dogs were NOT in the RV! Good Lord,
We forgot our dogs! Thankfully, we'd only gotten two doors away.





We can't back up with the car in tow so we had to take a series of rights, all about a mile apart...so 4 miles or so later, we were back home. We pulled up, ran into the house, he picked one dog, I got the other. I remember thinking that I hoped none of the neighbors were watching us scurrying down the street with our two forsaken pooches!







Started out again...
Made it to Newberry SC before trouble started. Thank goodness for Good Sam Roadside Service. Last time we never needed to use it, this time we used it only a few hours out...on Day ONE! Long story short, Jim had valve extenders put on so we could check tire pressure and the guy didn't know what he was doing. So this man in the photo was FIXING what the guy in Summerville messed up...


Continuted on in POURING rain to Pickens and a very nice campsite in Table Rock State Park. Tomorrow is supposed to be better, weather-wise and and HOPEFULLY equipment wise!

2 comments:

Whitey said...

How could you forget your dogs!!!!!!!!:(

Have a great time!

Jeff and Lori said...

I hope all the trouble is over. Have a great trip (Keep pop out of the tools)