Saturday, April 26, 2008

Grand Indeed!

Day 21 - The Grand Canyon
April 25, 2008














We took the Jeep this morning for our day trip up to the Grand Canyon





We followed US89 North up to the Grand Canyon National Park at the South Rim. We spent the $80 to buy the National Park 1 year Pass. That way the rest of the parks are free, and after 3, it pays for itself.








The weather was a little cool and it was slightly hazy, but we had great views of the canyon. It is an overwhelming experience. I don't even know why I take pictures, they just do not give any representation of what it really is. A person must stand at the rim to 'get it'. I felt so small and insignificant. It is a humbling experience.





There were many tourists/visitors from all over the country and world. I don't think I've ever heard so many languages spoken. It always surprises me what idiots some people can be, getting a little too close to edges that have no fences and it's a long, long way down.




We enjoyed a lunch that we brought with us while at one of the overlooks. Lunch with a view of one of the most amazing places in the world...not too shabby, eh?









We stopped at all the overlooks and toured some of the Indian ruins and some of the small museums up at the rim.







We took US180 back down to Flagstaff, making a 150 mile circle, up on the east side of the park, down on the west side....I hate backtracking, so this was nice.



Came back to our afternoon coffee, later a nice easy dinner of roast pork au jus (thank you Hormel) baked sweet potato, fresh asparagus, salad with balsamic vinegar and Davinci raspberry syrup and unsweetened applesauce, with cinnamon and Splenda added. My son is teasing me about seeing pictures of real food, so this is for him. I'm feeding your dad well, see?

We took a break from our daily black beans today...it was way quieter this evening!
The heat is on in the RV, going down to 25 again overnight.

We're ready to leave in the morning, taking I40toward Kingman and then US93 toward Las Vegas.

3 comments:

Sells said...

looks like you got out of Texas just in time. Severe weather again today.Also it is snowing in the Dakotas. thanks for the food plate. I am FINALLY going offshore tomorrow!!!!! have fun and keep writing. I am down about 40lbs now! I feel great, and i am still leading the board!
love you.

Jeff and Lori said...

Hey Who is that skinny man at the edge of the cliff? That can't be pop. Dad you look so good. Mom you are doing great with dad. I wish my suppers could be so vitamen packed..But that is why you have earned your title..FOOD POLICE!

the daughter in law said...

its nice to see somthing else instead of green veggies I think paul and I are starting to turn green ....he will be giving dad a run for his money on the weight loss.... cant wait for you to see him you will not belive it. you will be so proud!! looks like you all are having a blast. I look forword everymorning to reading about the latest adventure keep it up