Saturday, April 19, 2008

Happy Birthday Jim



April 18, 2008

Day 14 - Houston TX to San Antonio TX





Darn cold front went through with that storm that robbed me of a full nights sleep. It was windy, cloudy and chilly.
We had an appointment at a RV center on the west side of Houston to look at the electrical problem. That way we don't have to backtrack across Houston...on a Friday no less.



They had the RV for a few hours and we took the dogs and killed some time. Stopped at a nearby Sams, I was looking for blueberries...didn't have them but they did have some of the most BEE YOO TEE FUL asparagus that I've gotten this year. While I'm on the subject of asparagus, let me give you a tip on how to buy good ones. Always buy the ones with the tips tightly closed, those are the freshest. I even took a picture of them...Jim thinks I've gone completely mad photographing asparagus. My dad used to grow them...what I wouldn't give for some of those now!




We stopped for gas on the way out of Sams, when you're spending as much as we are on gas, every penny counts and Sams had the cheapest. Anyway, I guess the guy who operates the gas area there must feed the pigeons. There are a LOT of pigeons in Houston! They learn fast where the free pigeon buffets are. If you don't want your vehicle to look like this...don't feed the pigeons!


We left Houston, and continued on I10 west. Stopped for lunch at another Chez La WalMart Parking Lot. The 180 mile ride to the east side of San Antonio was pleasantly uneventful and the weather was nice - sunny, warm and the wind had stopped, yea!

We got settled, walked the dogs and decided to eat dinner here before we ventured downtown to the Riverwalk. We didn't realize it's a big week here...the Fiesta Days are this week and there are all sorts of things going on. I love it when we hit things right!

We walked around the Alamo area and the mall area before we stepped down to the Riverwalk.







The San Antonio Riverwalk is great. We were probably the only two people there last night that didn't eat or drink anything. Not because *I* didn't want to...Jim was being the model dieter! I was in an 'ice cream kind of mood'...oh heck, I had my Blue Bunny Fudge Lites waiting back at the RV. Not quite the same, but NO guilt.

We left around 8:00pm, with plans to spend Saturday downtown at the Riverwalk and at the Marketplace. Really nice evening downtown!


8 comments:

Dotti's Place said...

Happy Birthday Jim!! I love reading the blog - you guys are so funny!

Fun is certainly the name of the game.

Love ya! Dotti

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Jim!

Cathy how far is the kitchen from the living room in this one?

Gin

Sells said...

Happy B-day Dad!! I couldn't give a car away today (7 in the last three days) I'm pooped. Keep up the blog Mom, everyone is riding along with you

Kathy said...

Thanks for stopping by, Dotti! We're hoping to see you and Al again, it's been 5 years, can you believe that?

Gin, You're still laughing about that "Come sit down with me in the living room? LOL! Ahem...this one is even smaller.

Paul, great going, you have every reason to be pooped. Enjoy your day off, get some fish!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Kathy,
Posed on Fifties but you many not have seen it. Love reading your blog! Was also wondering if you're driving up 1-10, will you be driving through or stopping in El Paso? Would love to meet you if you do...

Happy Birthday to your DH! San Antonio is a great place to celebrate just about anything - so enjoy!!

Babette

Kathy said...

Babette, we are leaving here in the morning headed to El Paso. Most likely won't get that far but certainly by Monday. Would love to meet up for coffee, lunch or whatever. I'll PM you on Dotti's

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I'm a bit late, per usual but did want to wish Jim a Happy Birthday.
Wish I were there!!!!
Mare