Sunday, April 13, 2008

Galveston, Oh Galveston...







Day 9 - Lake Charles, LA to Galveston TX

Got cold during the night, we had to put the heat on in the RV. However, it warmed up with the cloudless sky.

I needed to download the day before's info to the blog. Jim and I walked with the dogs up to the office with the laptop, about a quarter mile. He walked with the dogs back to the RV to unhook and secure everything before pulling out for Galveston. I told him just to pick me up on his way out.

Took about 30 minutes to upload and I was just finishing up when Jim appeared saying that he was parked right out in front and let's go. I needed about three more minutes to shut down so he went back around the corner to wait in the RV. Seconds later he re-appeared visibly upset saying that our dog, Rookie was missing!

What a horrible feeling. Jim ran all the way back to the campsite and I ran around the office area asking eveyrone if they'd seen a little black and white dog. The driver's window of the RV was open...did he jump that far, or did someone steal him? Just as I was starting to panic, Jim appeared coming out of the camping sites with Rookie in his arms. Poor Rookie was back at the campsite, very upset, and glad to see Jim. I can just imagine him thinking..."My 'house' was just here a minute ago... Apparently, he escaped while Jim was packing the RV up to leave. Just glad that we discovered him missing before we drove an hour down the highway. What is it about us forgetting our dogs?




I had this much saved, and wrote a nice long blog, got kicked off the connection and lost most of it. Bummer, it was funny too! Anyway it's late and this connection is really, really bad so I'm saying goodnight.




In a nut shell, we drove 140 miles and took the ferry over to Galveston, got a site on the ocean and we'll be here tomorrow and maybe the next day too...




Miss everyone!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Kath/Jim
poor Rookie. Gin sent me your blog addey. Next time I wanna go too.
You coulda stopped and seen my aunt and nephew in Baton Rouge. ;)
I'll keep checking in.

Jeff and Lori said...

The way you keep losing the dogs I wonder if you two will find your way back. You can use tom tom to find your way, Try to find an electronic dog finder. (Hmmm maybe a BARK BARK). Brandy hopes that at the end of the trip she will be the only dog left.

Kathy said...

Geez Mary, you've got relatives all over the place! We'll be near your uncle in Washington state again, too. Glad to have you along for the ride! Uh...in spirit, that is.