Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A Rude Awakening

Day 32 Medford OR to Vancouver WA

Tuesday, May 6


We were just waking up when we heard thumping....somewhere. At first we thought it was someone outside, but soon realized that it was 'something' on the roof. Sure sounded like a heavy squirrel! Jim went outside and burst out laughing, and beckoned for me to come out, "You gotta see this." Before I got out the door I could hear the racket made by our visitors...


Soon after our 'guests' left we took the RV up the road for the oil change that we didn't get in Reno. This time it went much better. We put the dogs in the bedroom with the door shut, then took the Jeep to a Fred Meyer store for the hour that it took. We liked that store too. Prices were strange, some much higher and some much lower than home...I guess it all averages out.

Then we gassed up and headed to I5 for 285 mile drive up to Vancouver, WA. Not a bad drive, mostly pretty. Mostly mountains and hills, pastures and cows, sheep, cows, goats, cows, horses and cows. And all so very green.

Sitting up high in the RV you see more. Many people are talking on the phone while driving, but some are using their other hand to eat, write, hold a book they're reading or just waving it wildly around in a heated conversation. So...there's a whole lotta people careening down the highway at 75 MPH *driving* with NO HANDS!

We seem to have a knack for hitting big cities at rush hour and today was no exception. It backs up for 30 miles approaching Portland. No reason, no wrecks, no construction....just too many cars, not enough highway. I can see how the area has grown in the 4 years since I've been here.

We're at an RV park here in the section of town called 'the Orchards' that we've stayed at twice before. It's an urban park, tight spaces, mostly paved...but it's convenient and we know our way around here.

Had some laundry to do, made a nice dinner....Hormel Turkey w/Gravy, mashed potatoes, butternut squash and fresh asparagus. To me, a 'balanced' meal has to include a protein, starch, green vegetable and a yellow vegetable. That's what I try to aim for, I'm pretty sure I got that from my mom...

Tried to get in touch with a friend who lives here without any luck so tomorrow is open. If I don't hear anything I think we'll head over to the coast. What kind of a trip would this be if we came all this way and didn't make it to the Pacific Ocean?

After tomorrow, we make that turn EAST and start heading back.

And thanks for all the readers who are traveling with us!

2 comments:

the daughter in law said...

thanks for the mountain pics. you are right they are awsome!! why you would ever want to come home is beyond me? now there is just one other thing I would like for you to do while your there on the west coast .....DUNGENESS CRAB!!! I expect to hear all about how good fresh dungeness crab is when you get home and the best part is it wont crash your diet! maybe one day paul and I will be able to do this and I can find out for my self but for now I will have to take your word for it ..... we all miss you guys and will be glad when you get home.

Anonymous said...

Yeah you need to go to the coast. You took me for my first toe dip in the Pacific on one of your visits. Are you going to that place that had the Awesome Halibut?

Gin