Thursday, May 1, 2008

May Day in Lake Tahoe










Day 27 - Lake Tahoe



We took the Jeep over the mountains to Lake Tahoe. All I can say is *WOW*
This is certainly a gorgeous place. The sun was shinning so bright on the crystal clear water and the snow is still on the mountains...it was breathtaking. Every turn looked like a picture postcard.



This is the slow season here (I think they call it the mud season) but it makes for smaller crowds. The state parks are closed, but we could see some of the campsites from the road and they looked really nice. It was only 40 degrees but so many of the locals were walking around in t-shirts, and some even in shorts! The sun is very strong, but I was still cold.


We stopped for coffee and had lunch later on at an Applebees (blech) and Jim's diet halo temporarily vanished. He pulled a fast one...after he gave our order suddenly added chips and cheese dip that I didn't know anything about. I didn't want any so as he was eating the whole thing I snapped a quick photo. When I looked at the shot, I couldn't stop laughing...Actually it was a good thing he ordered it because the fajitas he got were awful, cold and nothing but chicken with two teeny, tiny pencil-thin, two inch pieces of green pepper and no onions. He would have been hungry...

Then we took a spectacular mountain road over to Reno, one stretch over 11 miles downhill. The Jeep with loves roads like that.


We stopped at a new WalMart for supplies and food. This was a WalMart with quite a view!

I had a little accident this morning. We've got a shelf that drops down in the bedroom for the TV to rest on. From the minute I saw it I knew it was dangerous when it was down, with a sharp corner. I was so sure that Jim would plow into it....after all, men are the klutzes, right?

Well, my daughter called while I was getting dressed and I grabbed some clothes out of a drawer, turned around quickly and BAM - plowed into that shelf, right between the eyes! Actually more on one side than the other. Swelled up so that I looked quite like a budding unicorn for a bit. Hurts like hell and it's turning purple.

The good part is that before it started turning purple, it looked like I'd done *self* botox or collagen. It puffed my wrinkles out!

We'd almost gotten past the point where we're bumping into everything....someday I'll write a post about 'Living in a 30' Box'

Tomorrow - choosing a route over the mountains to California and probably backtracking a little to Sacramento.

2 comments:

Sells said...

Your diet is working good for dad, he looks great. It was chilly here yesterday to, but warmed up to be a nice day. I am going home to have some fresh tuna (we caught 7 plus 2 sailfish) and veggies myself. I gave Lori a big bag of tuna steaks for her, and another bag for her store. Keep up the reports!

the daughter in law said...

those pictures are breath taking if I was there I would never come home.cant wait to see what you post next. take a lot of pictures of the mountains for me .got to go now I have to cook pauls tuna and veggies for him.