Thursday, May 1, 2008

Reno and Virginia City

Day 26 Fallon NV to Reno NV
Wednesday April, 30


















Pulled out of Fallon (the smoke was gone) around 9:30 am and headed the long way to Reno. We took US50 west through some small towns to Carson City to US395 north.





We went through the Washoe Valley (where the fire was) past Washoe Lake. It really starts to get pretty at Carson City. The valley and the mountains are beautiful. We continued on to Reno and drove right through downtown Reno. The entire drive was only about 130 miles...a nice change from yesterday's long haul.
We chose a nice campground just a little northwest of Reno. The news is showing maps of all the tremors around us here...yikes!

After lunch at the campground we got in the Jeep and headed up to Virginia City. The road up could be a little unnerving to some (like our friend Pat ) , but as long as I'm in the Jeep on these mountain roads and NOT the RV I'm okay. Virginia City is a gold mining town that has been preserved nicely. We went through a small mining museum and walked through the town on boardwalks. Lots of gift shops, saloons, and CANDY, darn it. I did buy a Sky Bar at an old fashioned candy store. I know they still make them, but you can't find them anymore. I'm making it last a couple of days.


It was only in the upper 40's on the mountain and breezy, not the strong winds of yesterday. Hard to believe that yesterday morning I wore shorts and a t-shirt to leave Las Vegas and last night it was in the 20's and I slept in cuddle duds and covered in blankets. Today I wore my winter coat all day. There are some spectacular views on the way down the mountain from Virginia City.

We had a nice dinner of thin sliced pork chops, red bliss potatoes, steamfresh seasoned peas with mushrooms and mashed orange/cinnamon carrots. Settled in to watch American Idol and agreed with the who was voted off.

Being in the earthquake zone is always on our minds...Jim went to bed and I just shifted in my seat making the RV rock a bit. Next thing I hear is, "Kathy, did you just move?!!" Boy, I could make this a fun night....

Nah.

Tomorrow we're taking the Jeep over to Lake Tahoe to spend the day over there.

No comments: