Thursday, May 22, 2008

Mighty Fine Shrimp and Grits..Ya Ya!



Day 48 Navarre Florida


Non travel day




I slept until 8:45 this morning. Mainly because two families pulled in beside us after midnight last night. They were unloading, opening and closing car doors, little kids yelling...every time I dozed off they banged something. I was referring to them 'The Bang Bang Family' from a children's book that I used to read to my kids when they were small.


Later we took a ride to The Fish House Restaurant on the waterfront in Pensacola. We were introduced to this place by Jim's brother and wife from Omaha. We try to stop in here whenever we're in the area and Navarre is only about 20 miles east of here. Jim loves one of their signature dishes --World Famous Grits à Ya Ya~ Spiced Gulf jumbo shrimp top a sauté of spinach, portobello mushrooms, applewood-smoked bacon, garlic, shallots, and cream over a heaping bed of smoked Gouda cheese grits.


Now, before you all say, eeewwwww, trust me, this is good stuff! I'm not a grits sort of gal, even after almost 20 years in the shrimp and grits capital of the universe, Charleston, SC. But, I tasted the dish last time we were here and today I ordered it. The grits are the texture of mashed potatoes, smooth and creamy. Should be, with all the calories they add to a simple dish. We have no idea when we'll make it back to this part of the country...so we enjoyed.


Later in the afternoon, we drove 20 miles or so in the other direction, east, to Destin. Destin has some of the prettiest beaches on the Gulf...when you can see the water. It's getting like Malibu, where you know there's an ocean out there--somewhere on the other side of all the big homes.


We've stayed there in the past, and just enjoy seeing how things have changed, sometimes for the better, sometimes not. There is an enormous new building on next to the bridge at the inlet that is one of the ugliest things I've seen in a long time. I don't know if it's supposed to be an Italian design, or what. It reminds me of an area we drove by near Lake Mead, and it also makes me think of a Disney hotel...not very 'beachy'.


We had a late, light dinner...the rest of yesterday's chicken and some fresh sweet corn.


The forecast today was for heavy rain, we expected it all day, but like yesterday it never materialized, tonight I hear some rain on the roof. Hopefully, our luck will hold out on our trip to Tampa tomorrow and at the park the following day.


Another long drive tomorrow..

1 comment:

the daughter in law said...

EATIN GRITS now huh might make a southern girl out of you yet ha ha I keep trying to tell your son there not so bad if prepared the right way but he still wont touch them. Cant wait for you to get home Paul and I have a surprise for you !