Tuesday, May 6, 2008

A Rogue River and a DEEP Lake


Day 31 Mt Shasta CA to Medford OR

Monday May 5



Left Lake Siskiyou RV Park and headed north on I5 toward Oregon. Nice ride through farm lands and mountains. Descending from the mountains into the valley of Ashland OR was a little nerve-wracking, with a 6% grade for over 7 miles. There were more 'Run Away Truck Ramps' than I've ever seen before. Try to imagine a semi roaring past out of control! I hope I never witness a 'run away' truck.

We pulled into our RV park just before lunchtime. It's nice, right beside the highway and out the front window (or windshield, if you will) is a rushing river. With geese. They seem to be much nicer than the geese who attack me (even attacked my car!) in my subdivision at home...geese from Hell!

We packed a lunch and headed toward Crater Lake National Park about 80 miles northeast. Half way there we pulled over beside the Rogue River and had lunch. There was a man fishing for salmon who told us a joke. The weather was a perfect 10 and the river was as pretty a river as I've ever seen, crystal clear. The only thing that would have made it even better is if the man had caught a fish while we were there....and given it to me! Took a couple of photos and continued on to Crater Lake.

Beautiful ride, and then the snow started to show up on the sides of the roads. And it got deeper, and deeper. By the time we got up to the park it was over 10 feet and the final ascent while IN the park was like being in a luge. We were literally driving in a snow tunnel until we came to the visitors center and observation point on the rim. Had to climb over the snow bank (I'm so done with snow now) to see the lake. Would have been really pissed if it was frozen and just looked like all the rest of the snow. But it never freezes they told us. And when you get to the top, the scene takes your breath away. I know the word 'awesome' is overused, but that's exactly what it is. Awesome. And, by the way it's almost 2,000 feet deep!

Got some great pictures and headed back. I was feeling....oh, I don't know....ice cream, maybe. Thankfully, we didn't see any Cold Stone or Marble Slab, because I would have had one.

Made a run to a Home Depot that's literally across the street from us here to get some parts to fix those damn kitchen drawers that keep breaking. All that shaking the other day
at Donner Pass wasn't kind to the buggy.

The dinner menu tonight....Grilled salmon, fresh asparagus, corn on the cob and baked sweet potato.

On to Portland/Vancouver tomorrow.

1 comment:

Jeff and Lori said...

You two look great and it sounds like your having a fun trip. I love the pic's. As I follow along with your trip I can only hope that Lori and I get the chance to do the same someday. have fun and be safe.

Jeff