Saturday, May 24, 2008

Busch Gardens and a Little Bit of Greece

Day 50 Dunedin and Tampa FL



Hot and muggy today, hard to believe it was just last Sunday were were shivering in Chicago.


We went to Busch Gardens today. It was quite warm but the park provides plenty of shade and breezes. The two week old baby rhino is the cutest thing! He was prancing around behind his mother....cute little rhino butt! Our days of scary roller coasters are over, Jim kept watching the one that drops so dramatically, but there aren't too many people of , ahem...our age on them. I've read how those type of rides can spike blood pressure incredibly. Now me, with the heart thing...nah. My brain knows I'm on a ride and it's all safe. But at the same time it will also think, "Holy Mother of God, we are falling face first, 200 feet to the ground...we will be dead in a few seconds!" Nope, I'll stick with the tamer things.


I got a stinker of a headache in the heat so we came back to the RV, took care of the dogs and I chilled out for a bit. Later on we took a ride over the causeway to see what the beach looked like down the street, really nice. Maybe on another trip we'll take the ferry over to the 'best beach in the country', Caladesi Beach.

Then we took a ride to 'little Greece', or Tarpin Springs. They have fishing boats, shops and restaurants. Well, when in Rome....or Greece....eat Greek food! So we stopped in Hellas and I had Spanokopita, and Jim had a Gyro dish. The huge bakery next door had the most incredible desserts, but thankfully, we were stuffed and just peeked at a few. Jim kept giving me 'the look' when I stopped to look at them. Geez, I just wanted to see what pretty pastry is supposed to look like...I do like to bake! Consider it 'instructional'.


I knew one amusement park would be enough for him and the he'd want to get back home tomorrow. I was right, tomorrow we'll head for home. Yesterday was the end of the seventh week, we're ready. I miss my kids and grandkids. Oh yeah and my KING size bed!


It' been a fabulous trip, but all good thing must come to an end.
So tomorrow is the end of the road.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathy, thanks for taking us along on your trip. It's been fun for us too!

Know you're both tired. Drive safe and let us know when you get home.

Jackie

Anonymous said...

What a great trip you have had! Thanks for taking this "Nifty Fifty" along for the ride. I will miss the daily updates. I always checked each morning to see where you had been the day before. Some places we had visited already, but you gave us many ideas for future trips. Welcome home...but I will miss the travelogue!